Thursday, February 7, 2013

Owies

When I decided that I wanted to run a half marathon I spent most of my free time (possibly some of my working time) reading all of the runDisney blogs and recaps I could find.  And as I read through them I noticed a pattern; runners get hurt.  A lot.

And in my hubris I said to myself that it wouldn't happen to me.  I work out regularly, I'm going to be building on a strong base.

Ha!  Fates know when to smack you down when ego gets in the way.

I'm the proud owner of two owies;

 - Sort of where my big toe attaches to my foot.  Kind of.  It's an ache that comes and goes, mostly goes.  Possibly co-incidental with the purchase of new shoes.  Which would make me sad.  Good news is it's not getting worse and it doesn't bother me when running.

 - A HUGE knot in my calf.  I'm not sure if I'm doing more harm than good trying to massage it out.  I want to catch this one quickly so it doesn't get worse, it's only annoying right now but I think it could be one of those things that lingers.  A trip to a massage therapist might be in the cards for me.

On the good side (and I know that I'm throwing it out there just to jinx myself), my knees are holding up surprisingly well.  I will probably always have to ice them after long runs but I'm not feeling any extra soreness or stiffness day-to-day.

No comments:

Post a Comment